I am a firm believer that you should invest in classic wardrobe essentials; this means purchasing quality items that will stand the test of time. For both men and women, I have narrowed down a list of ten staple items that can be mixed and matched to provide dozens of seamless looks that can be dressed up or down. Today’s post will focus on the ladies.
1. I think the base for strong wardrobe is a good, tailored pair of black pants. Unfortunately, trousers don’t normally fit right off the hanger, so you’ll need to find a tailor. If you have never been to a tailor, don’t fret…many dry cleaners employ full-time seamstresses; my personal favorite is the Peerless Cleaners on Virginia Street. (Do keep in mind that many department stores include tailoring with designer purchases.) I can’t stress enough how crucial the correct fit is when it comes to your clothing—it really makes a world of difference.
2. Next, is a good pair of jeans. Again, don’t forget to visit a tailor. Typically with denim you’ll only need to adjust the hem, as more expensive designers tend to sew a longer inseam. A boot cut leg opening tends to be the most universally flattering fit.
3. I am a huge fan of pencil skirts. I think they can work wonders for just about any body type. A good fitting pencil skirt should start at the most narrow part of your waist and hit just below your knee.
4. Even if you’re not the dress type, every woman’s closet should contain a flattering dress. A wrap dress can be dressed up or down, and if you pick a solid color, the accessorizing options are endless.
5. A classic white button down is an absolute must, but, no matter how hard we try, it is near impossible to keep the white looking crisp. This is one item that is okay to not splurge on. If you find a style you like, buy a few because its unlikely they’ll stay in stock for long.
6. In addition to the white button down, you’ll want to make sure that you also have a fun patterned shirt to mix up the monotony of all the plain colored basics. Polka dots or stripes are both a safe bet.
7. Every woman needs a black blazer. This is another article of clothing that I would suggest getting tailored. If it is ill-fitting, it will not do you any justice. On a side note, if you pair your black blazer with your trousers or pencil skirt, make sure that they are the same shade of black.
8. Another staple for every woman’s wardrobe is a pair of classic black pumps. Heels do wonders for our legs, and they can help dress up even the most casual outfits. If you are dressing for work in a formal setting, make sure the heel is under 4 inches and that your toes are covered.
9. For the days a heel just won’t work, I recommend a nude flat. The neutral color pairs with just about anything and allows you to walk miles.
10. The final item on my list is a statement necklace–you can pair a fun statement piece with just about anything for a touch of added glam. Brace yourself for compliments because you’ll get a ton.
Below are several different outfit options compiled from my essential wardrobe list. The outfits shown, prove that you can mix and match just about any of the pieces and create an instantly pulled together look.
I’d love to know which items make your essential list; share your comments below.